Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Beach

I am currently accessing the internet from a Travelodge hotel room in Woodstock, GA. Our time at Anna Maria Island, FL is complete and we are on our way home.

As I reflect on our time in Florida, "gift" is the word that leaps out at me. Beside Still Waters and the Taylor Foundation gave us the gift of a townhome while on the island. Because of their willingness to allow the Lord to work through them, we had everything we needed to live the beach life for a week. Further, the azur sky, scorching sun, scurrying anoles, crystal-clear surf, asundry shells, and elusive game fish, were all provided for our enjoyment by the Master of creation.

A swimming pool, new friends, bikes, rock jetties, and a cool restaurant, were also among the great provisions the Lord granted during our stay.

It is tempting to say, "Jeff, you've been a good boy and that is why you received such neat things while in Florida. Just keep being good and you'll get more!" The truth: None of these blessings were the result of my deserving anything. I am fallen, broken, sinful, and godless. I deserve condemnation instead of blessing!

But the Lord is so full of love that He blesses me despite my failures. He forgives me when I acknowledge my blunders and lifts me out of my self-destructive ways. He sets me under His tent, high upon a rock, and adopts me as His child. Then He takes care of me as any loving parent cares for a child. You see, I am blessed because God chooses to bless me as His kid. I have done nothing to merit this response.

May His name be praised for how He does this for any who will fall into His arms!

On another note...London had an adventure courtesy of Greyhound on Sunday. We put him on a bus in Tampa on Saturday so that he could meet up with the youth who were headed to WV for a service trip on Sunday. As the stated schedule went, he was to arrive in Huntington, WV about the same time as the youth would be arriving there enroute from NW Ohio. It was to work out just perfectly! Yeah.

London called at around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday from Wytheville, VA saying that his bus had wheel problems and would be delayed 3-4 hours. So much for perfect coordination. He called 4 hours later and noted that the problem had not yet been rectified and no one was telling him anything. He also said that he finished the novel he had been nursing for a week. I knew that trouble was brewing!

Feeling guilty, I called around to figure out what Greyhound was going to do to rescue my son from the peril of long-term boredom. By the time I navigated Greyhound's automated phone disaster, talked to a singularly unhelpful customer service representative whom I could barely understand, and finally got someone at the Wytheville terminal, a replacement bus had arrived and loaded. London was back on his way. He was only 7 hours late for the apponited rendevous.

Poor Benny Avina had to retrieve London after 11:00 p.m. in Huntington after having already driven a bunch. Thanks, Benny!

Yes, God is good and we can always trust Him to take care of our loved ones. It is the trusting that is the hard part.

In Christ ~



Jeff

2 comments:

Amy Frey said...

Praying specifically for you guys today. May God continue to bless you!

Pastor Jeff said...

Thank you, Amy. The prayers are greatly appreciated!

Jeff