Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Trip

Sorry about my slowness in producing another post. Have had some difficulties in gaining net access here on Anna Maria Island. I'll not say from where I am blogging right now!

Some road trip observations:
  • Public restrooms gross me out. At one stop I had to close my eyes while doing my thing in order to avoid a panic attack.
  • You can buy a food called "Banana Planks" in the south. I don't know either - I was afraid to try it.
  • Palm trees are da bomb. I wish I had one in my backyard. Or living room.
  • There is a lot of heat and humidity as you travel closer to the equator. I had forgotten that I really did have sweat glands.
  • Even the brightest of people can make a mistake whilst on the road. Let's say - just hypothetically - that a certain 41 year old male started driving after a rest break somewhere in Georgia and gleefully drove 20 minutes north before being told by his somewhat smug 16 year old son that he was going the wrong way.
  • Boiled peanuts are a southern delicacy. You can even get them in cans.
  • I have often mumbled under my breath that Oprah Winfrey is the antichrist. I have changed my mind. Waffle House is the antichrist. There are more Waffle Houses in the south than there are churches and that is saying something. The franchise is slowly taking over the world with its blend of lousy coffee and sloppy eggs. Beware!
  • Sometimes Waffle Houses do not clean their grills.
  • People in the south are typically rather cordial.

We are having a wonderfully restful break here in Florida. We have spent time on the beach, in the pool, and exploring the island. We have looked at boats, caught lizards, and spent some time in Sarasota. We even stopped by at Bahia Vista Mennonite Church and were able to speak with some very kind sisters in Christ. We worshiped at a Baptist church on Sunday morning. It was a delight. Great, warm people and an excellent sermon (45 minutes long!) to boot.

The Lord is very good. Thanks all of you for your prayers on our behalf!

In Christ ~

Jeff

No comments: