Monday, July 14, 2008

The Mountains

Check out this blog, you Mennoists. I think the words there are words for all of us to ponder carefully: http://gregboyd.blogspot.com/2008/06/word-to-my-mennonite-friends-cherish.html

What do you think?


We enjoyed our three day stay in South Fork. London caught a trout. My brother caught ten. I felt bad about putting a hook in a poor fishy's mouth so I graciously allowed them all to steer clear unscathed. I did wade out into the river on two occasions in order to unsnag snags (I suspect that fish were pranking me!). It was cold.

By the way, Ron Dilbone, green drakes (accompanied by a copperjohn) were the food of choice for hungry browns.

While some of the boys fished, the girls and Therin did some shopping and hiking. Here are Kathy, Savannah, Therin, and Evie (our niece) on a trail near Beaver Reservoir. Therin is the weird one.





On Monday, we took the scenic route back to Palmer Lake. We followed the Rio Grande through Creede, Lake City, etc. and over Spring Creek and Slumgullion (which means, incidentally, "an unappetizing stew") passes. This route is called the "Silver Thread." We were awed by the sheer escarpments, maroon rocks and soil, opportunistic sage brush, and jagged, snow-spotted peaks. We were able to view the Lord's creation from over 10,000 feet and remember that He is the consummate and perfect Artist.

We ate lunch in Lake City at a place called No Name Restaurant. Seemed like an appropriate place for us Smiths. On placemats at each table, it was noted that on a menu in this restaurant many years ago one could get filet mignon and a pot of coffee for $2.00. This made me quite nostalgic. The contemporary food was good, too.

On the downside we were also awed by the price of gasoline in some of the more remote mountain towns: $4.45 and above per gallon. I did find some 85 ethanol fuel for $2.89 in Divide but the sign said it wouldn't work in my van. I decided not to risk it but just barely.

Following a trek through the area containing Blue Mesa Reservoir (96 miles of shoreline) and Gunnison, we enjoyed our ascents and descents of Monarch and Wilkerson passes. We saw quite a few pronghorns, some deer, and a bevy of chipmunks. We did not see, unfortunately, any elk or bears.

We also got to see one of the most infamous locations in all of Colorado. This is the spot, near Lake City, where Alferd Packer supposedly killed and ate five of his companions when they all became lost and starving on a journey during the winter of 1874. He claimed his innocence. This is Alferd. He looks innocent to me. Bon apetit!


If you are interested, you can check out Alferd's story http://wikipedia.com.

Despite the aesthetics of the Colorado mountain journey, it is clear that the Lord is working on me, especially as it pertains to my identity as a pastor. I find it quite disconcerting to not have that mantle right now. How am I to be viewing myself? How am I to be relating to others? It almost feels like I am walking around naked. This has implications for my relationship with my Heavenly Father, for the work I will resume in September, for the rest of the sabbatical as well. Stay tuned!

~ Jeff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Appreciated what Boyd has to say. I have heard this same type of encouragement from others outside the Mennonite church. I have often been disappointed when Mennonite churches choose to remove the name Mennonite from the name of their congregation, thinking that by doing so they will be more appealing to more people. Now in many circles we are reading of the efforts, as Boyd says, of many to recover what it means for the kingdom of God to be present on earth--a way of life that has always been a part of us Mennos. So do you think many Mennos will suddenly become more "Anabaptist" now that it is becoming more appealing and acceptable to those outside the tradition? I hope that would not be the reason. Perhaps many of us Mennos need to rediscover our Anabaptist roots. My concern is that we don't really understand our own tradition all that well. But a deeper concern would be that we understand what it really means to live the gospel.

By the way, I read today where Cormac McCarthy's The Road is coming out in theaters in November.

Joyce

Pastor Jeff said...

Joyce ~

My sense - and this is more intuitive than it is based in hard facts - is that our denomination continues to polarize based on one hand on what are believed to be political, sociological, and philosophical truths and on the other hand the powerful impact of the Christian mainstream. The inherent tragedy in this is what you noted: the Gospel becomes extraneous to societal "truth" and the interpretations of those who have influence in the religious community.

I further sense that because Mennonites often appear to be 20-25 years behind in regard to denominational trends, we are just now hitting our stride in terms of understanding what it takes to reach a society rapidly losing its moorings in anything religious. One typical observation is that becoming "generic" or practically unaffiliated can lead a congregation to become more attractive to those who are seeking. I am not sure if that is true or not.

To be fair, we as a denomination have just recently left our isolationism. We can now see that Methodists and Catholics are saved by their faith in Christ Jesus not in their denominatinal affiliation. That is a good thing. The drawback is this: our theology becomes more watery in that we are less apt to evaluate biblically what we hear from friends, in books, and in the media. The result is our practical theology is not always biblically accurate.

As we are now expending energy trying to play catch-up with what other churches are doing in terms of making themselves attractive, we are missing a new trend that should seem more familiar to us, at least vaguely: living lives that are completely centered in Christ. This kind of life is about community, love and grace, service, and radical obedience. It is the model of church we find in the book of Acts.

To wind up my long-windedness, my sense is that as a radical sector of N. American Christians are embracing Anabaptist theology and a lived Anabaptist life, we who are the recipients of this scriptural tradition are rapidly mainstreaming. Ironic, isn't it? Non-traditional Anabaptists taking on the mantle - traditional Anabaptists shucking the mantle and nesting into the obscure mainstream.

Perhaps this is the work of God...

~ Jeff

Anonymous said...

The Lord is always working on us, isn't He? Changing us, molding us, messing with how we understand ourselves. Even though you are not wearing your pastor hat right now, I have a feeling you still exhibit some pastorly type qualities. My opinion is that this is because "pastor" isn't just something you do, it's a large part of who you are. It is not just a job, but the outward expression of who God created you to be. Even if you didn't fill the formal role of pastor, you would still find ways of pastoring "unofficially".

Anyway, you've filled the role of pastor for so long,I guess it makes sense for you to feel the absence of it on sabbatical. But we aren't one dimensional are we? It sounds like God may be reminding you that "Pastor" is only part of who you are; that God has created other facets to you as well.

I have learned that trips with God are never boring, so I will pray that you will enjoy the journey and not be tossed about too much, that God will be timely in His revelations, and that He would continue to be glorified in your life.

Sarah

By the way, thanks for the little tidbit on Alferd. I'm glad I ate before reading this!

Pastor Jeff said...

Thanks, Sarah, for your insights and encouragement. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I suppose a real area of growth for me is being able to relate to others from the core of who I am: a child of God, wired by Him for His purposes. Easier said than done.

Jeff