Thursday, May 7, 2009

Memory

Before Kathy and I got married I required (this word may be a bit strong!) her to memorize the entire starting lineup for the 1987 Denver Broncos. She did. I thought this was a small price for her to pay in order to experience a lifetime of joy in my presence! Yeah.

I can still recall the everyday lineup for the Cincinnati Reds during the days of the Big Red Machine: 1st base- Tony Perez; 2nd base - Joe Morgan; shortstop - Dave Concepcion; 3rd base - Pete Rose; catcher - Johnny Bench; outfielders - George Foster, Cesar Geronimo, Ken Griffey, Sr.

Some of us can recall the circumstances of May 7, 1945. Some of us can remember the middle names of all the US presidents. Some of us know 50 Cent's three top hits. Yes, we are good at trivia.

And, yet, many of us know little or no scripture by heart.

Proverbs 7:1-3 reads:
"My son, keep my words
and store up my commands within you.
Keep my commands and you will live;

guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers;

write them on the tablet of your heart."

I cannot get into the head of the author here but it seems to me that an implication of writing something on the tablet of one's heart is manifold. First, it means to remember what has been taught. Second, it means to embrace what has been taught. Third, it means to remember by virtue of intentional memorization.

We would do well to resurrect that practice of memorizing various scriptures. When we do, we locate the Word of God in a place where we can always find it. It is available to us, then, when we want to meditate or find comfort or wish to teach and exhort.

To know trivia is okay. To know scripture by heart is divine. May we all commit to the greater good.

No comments: