Friday, October 10, 2008

Voting

Okay. Back to this voting deal.

I do not vote. Though this has not always been true, I would now consider myself a principled non-voter. Let me explicate.
  1. “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s,” says Jesus when the Pharisee lackeys and Herodians try to trap him. What is Caesar's? Economic systems, political systems, military systems, and the belief that tinkering with the aforementioned will bring life and goodness to the world. Voting, as a part of politics, belongs to Caesar. I choose to let him keep it.

  2. The politics of Caesar ask us for complete devotion to nation. Notice John McCain's campaign slogan: "Country First." Remember what Jesus said in this regard? "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it” (Mt. 10.37-39). To me voting is throwing at least part of my hope behind a candidate or issue. Isn't that exactly what Barack Obama is asking from us? "I'm asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring real change to Washington...I'm asking you to believe in yours." I want both my devotion and hope to be placed in the hands of Christ Jesus, not country nor person.

  3. We live in a politically polarized nation. One's definition as Democrat or Republican is more important than one's definition as American. Worse, one's political leanings in the minds of way too many have become the litmus test for whether or not one is truly a Christian. That is plain wrong and abiblical. Let's recall Romans 10:9 & 12-13, "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" and "For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.'" Hmmm...the litmus test for salvation is confession and belief not ethnicity nor political affiliation! I cast my vote for Christian unity that is bestowed by the Spirit via the grace of Christ Jesus.

  4. There has never been a candidate that reflected my beliefs in total nor one that I believed would remain convicted to always do what was right without compromise. Governments are fundamentally oriented to national self-interest and self-preservation. That is very nearly irreconcilable with Jesus' emphasis on selflessness.

  5. I am a pacifist. I believe that Jesus' call to love enemies supersedes a nation's call to defend itself through violence. My choosing not to vote is a way of my trying to maintain personal integrity in regard to the government. I do not believe it is right for me to make choices about who leads the government and about policies if I, in turn, will not pick up arms to defend that which I have helped to install. Personally, I cannot with any integrity embrace certain benefits but then turn around and reject the responsibility that goes with those benefits. I want it to be clear that my primary citizenship is the Kingdom of God.

  6. I like what John Roth has to say about politics and faith, “…the primary concern of Christians is not to redeem the state or take control of government or insist it live up to the standards of the NT.” There is this notion that we are a Christian nation. Certainly, we are majority Christian nation population-wise. But our government is never obligated to behave according to Christ's commands and ethical standards. It will instead act according to the world's standards. Until Jesus' return and His setting up His perfect kingdom, Christendom will never exist. It is my belief that all efforts to Christianize government will fail. In fact, it is not even our role as the Church. Instead, we are to proclaim the Gospel and to bring Christ's healing to those who are broken. To say it a bit more strongly, I believe that we have been deceived into believing our efforts in the political realm are the best use of our time. My not voting reminds me that my best efforts are to more closely resemble those of Jesus and the Twelve.

I could say much more but this is quite enough for now. I welcome your rebuttals and critique.



Jeff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeff, i respect your decision, but not your position. i think that it is not only a "right" to vote, but it is our duty as Christians!! simply based on that fact that it is by "GOD'S GRACE" WE LIVE IN A FREE COUNTRY!!! the fact that we we're born in this country should be reason enough. you can quote scripture all day, but the fact of the matter is. we are all called to be "steward's" of what we are given. i don't believe that stop's at money, family ,etc... the freedom we have, and that so many have given there life for. should not be taken for grated. i personally find it arrogant of you to take such a position in the name of "JESUS". in fact I'll be as bold to say that it is because of this "mind set" we are where we are. if "CHRISTIAN'S" would stand up for what's right, and "PRO-LIFE" issues are "RIGHT"!!! IF NOTHING ELSE IS. then i believe there will be a "TRUE GOD MOVEMENT " in this land. i can find many reasons to be upset with what i see in the day to day, but it's not going to stop me from doing my part. in fact i wonder what "ABRAHAM" must have been thinking when he keep asking "GOD" for just 40,30,20..... in order to keep "Sodom and Gomorrah" form being destroyed?? sometimes you have to "stand and fight"!!! it's my belief that "JESUS" is not calling me to sit on the "sidelines". mitch

Pastor Jeff said...

Mitch,

Thanks for responding.

The thing about following Jesus is this: we are free no matter where we live. Galatians 5:1 reads, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." What is this freedom? It is not physical freedom nor freedom to worship publicly. It is freedom from the penalty of sin and freedom to obey the Lord's commands. People have experienced this freedom in the United States, in Ethiopia, and even in China. It depends not on a government's permission.

I am truly grateful to live in a land in which I can openly do the work I do, where I am not typically in fear for my life nor those I love, and where I am not oppressed by evil political powers. Part of the reason to do the work I do is to serve the people of this land so that we all might thrive under the reign of Christ.

The experience we have politically is rather unique in human history. We should give God thanks for it.

I am very concerned, however, that our love of physical freedom has become the altar at which we worship. Protecting that freedom is our ultimate national value despite the fact that it cannot be supported biblically. Our civil religion, replete with a thin veneer of Christianity, worships our ability to do what we want physically and, especially, economically. This worship of freedom has ironically most certainly contributed to legalized abortion. Proponents argue, "It is all about a woman's right to choose." That's about freedom.

We can see in this case as well as others that our worshipping freedom often leaves Jesus in the dust. We tend to apply Him only when He is convenient to our civil religious beliefs.

I am curious. How we are to be good stewards of freedom? What would Christ call us to in this regard?

I'd like to hear more about how I have taken an arrogant position as well. If I have, I need to repent of it.

To take on a cause such as abortion is an honorable one. I'm with you on that. But I am much more concerned with teaching what is right in regard to abortion and helping women who are contemplating abortion to recognize alternatives, that they are loved and have support, and that they are not alone. To me this a more powerful and Christ-like witness than is voting. How do we abolish abortion? By removing the demand for it. That is one of the works of the church.

I agree that as Christians we are to "fight the good fight." I would never suggest sitting on the sidelines. I just want us to have our true enemy in mind: Satan, not flesh and blood. We are to resist him with all our might. We are to do this by exercising our freedom in Christ; obeying radically, serving selflessly, and loving passionately.

I will take you to task, Mitch, on the quoting scripture thing. If I have not the scripture to guide me then I am truly lost.

In Christ,

Jeff

Anonymous said...

jeff , you and i as well as others bought by the "BLOOD". will always have "FREEDOM" IN CHRIST. it's not about that from my view point. it's about living by example. to take the time and understand who your voting for, and why your voting for them. then praying for your leaders is our christian duty. why do you think you have the freedom to do what you do??? JESUS example should be enough. HE didn't passively go about HIS FATHERS work. HE boldly did it!!! HE even turned over some tables along the way!! do you realize that one of the key issues in this election is "fairness doctrine"?? if this law gets passed it will change the way we all live. first they will start shutting down talk radio. then any and every conservative news outlets. look at what they have done to joe "the plummber" for asking a simple question. just how long do you think it will take them to be knocking at your door? i'm not talking about avoiding what we all as CHRISTIANS are waiting for. (JESUS TO RETURN) HE can't come soon enough for me!! it's about doing everything with in our power to defeat the work of the devil (his works are everywhere). that is one reason i vote. i know that there are true "GOD FEARING" people that run for office, and i believe that "faith without works is dead". therefore i need to actively be a part of the process. i could almost understand, and or except your reasoning more. if it was solely based on the fact that there's a conflict between. what you describe as "physical freedom", and "spiritual freedom". because i would agree that many live by the motto "country 1st". i just don't believe that your unwillingness to be part of the process is helping change that to "GOD 1ST". i agree with you, that "are fight is not against flesh and blood". thats why we are called to pray!! which is more of what i think you should be focusing on. because there are plenty of examples of how GOD used the shedding of blood to get mans attention. example "old testament",not to mention the shedding of "HIS" OWN, and i'm sure most would agree that taking out the pharaoh's, hitler's and stalin's of the world we're a pretty good thing. i don't believe that any of what we have in this country. has been given with out GOD'S purpose. the fact that we have all miss managed it is the problem. which takes us to the battle against our "human nature". i believe the quote is : i am saved by grace, not so i can be "sinless", but so i can "sin less". i do believe that "GOD" still look's on our country with favor. HE shows it by not totally wiping us out!! i'm not saying that i have the answer here, but by putting yourself in the non-voting category. you become like any of the others that i have talk to. that say there not voting because of there own list of reasons. yet those are the same people i hear every day complain about there lives etc.... the BIBLE warns about being un-equally yoked. it also warns about "the appearance of evil". just think what could happen if every person that called themselves "CHRISTIAN" prayed, and voted. do you think that the "WALLS" would fall!! mitch

Pastor Jeff said...

Mitch,

If Christians are to vote they should indeed take time to know the candidates and issues as well as possible. It is more important in my estimation to understand issues clearly than it is to vote a party line.

I agree that we are called to pray for our elected officials. I definitely can do a better job at that.

Obviously, it would be a great tragedy if the US government began regulating religious practice and freedom. I suppose we can expect more of that, however, as Jesus' return draws near. You and I would differ on whether or not expending energy on the cause of preventing such is what the Lord would have for us.

During Jesus' time on earth the Romans seriously impinged on Jewish religion. In the early church, authorities persecuted the church severely. Surely if it was the Lord's will, the church would have been called to actively confront the government and to demand immunity and space. I can't find in scripture where we are to defend our own rights at all.

I do see that we are to bless and to serve those who are marginalized, however: the poor, the oppressed, the widowed. I would even say that saving unborn children would fit in this category. I think we should be putting our energies into this and what Jesus did: teaching and preaching, loving, healing, exorcizing.

These things the Spirit has inspired through the ages even in political climates that were completely averse to Christianity.

I keep being told that to vote Republican (pro-life) will lead to the overturning of Roe v. Wade. That seems highly unlikely. Here is the reality:
1. The Roe v Wade supreme court decision was made under a Republican administration (Nixon).
2. Since then four Republican presidents have held office (for 24 years!) and still the decision has not been overturned.
3. President Bush has had opportunity to appoint justices that are pro-life and still Roe v. Wade has not been overturned.
4. Congress was majority Republican during the Clinton administration and still we have legalized abortion in this country.

All of this makes me think that most Republican politicians are not as interested in pro-life issues as they say they are. To be fair, they would in some cases end up bucking their own constituencies. A recent poll had American approval of legalized abortion at 57%.

I just wonder if there is not a better way for us to approach these issues that we are passionate about. Here in NW Ohio Community Pregnancy Centers do marvelous work in helping women to choose something other than abortion. Our local Ridge Project encourages sexual abstinence before marriage. Projects like these truly make a difference for individuals and communities. Putting energy into such efforts seems better than just voting and feeling like we have done our duty.

I agree with your emphasis on prayer. Our complaining on the sidelines does no good whatsoever. Usually we want to blame someone else (like the government) for our own problems and not take any responsibility. Our approaching issues that are dear to us with passion, love, and prayer is just right.

Thanks for taking me on, Mitch.

Christ is Lord!


Jeff