Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday in Archbold

Today went like this:
  1. Husk sweet corn (high-quality Zaerr corn).
  2. Work on devotional.
  3. Carve sweet corn off of the cobs.
  4. Clean up the mess (from the sweet corn, not the devotional).
  5. Go for power ride on bike.
  6. Return exhausted.
  7. Work on devotional some more.
  8. Etc.

Not a half-bad day. Kathy worked much harder than I did!

I have been reading Bill Hybel's Just Walk Across the Room (a gift some time ago from Linda Nafziger!). It is a book that encourages all Christians to seize opportunities to form relationships with those who are not Christians because the Lord just may use those relationships to bring folks into His fold.

I have been thinking for years now that it is important for me to have some context in which I am able to form just such relationships because the reality is that I mostly hang out with people of faith. I must confess that I have failed in this regard. With the help of the Spirit, that can change.

Many of you work or live in places where you have regular encounters with those who do not know the Lord. How do you develop relationships effectively? How do you share your faith without scaring people off? How do you suspend judgments and continue to accept folks even when they are not open to hearing about Jesus?

I'll await your wisdom...

Your brother in Christ,

Jeffrey

No comments: